Bent shape

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Nadeen 3D
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:26 am

Bent shape

Postby Nadeen 3D » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:49 pm

Is another word for bent angular? (I noticed bent shapes being called angular but just want to make sure)

Also, if the molecular shape has only one lone pair and two bonds attached, is that considered bent? (because bent has 2 lone pairs)

megan blatt 2B
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:28 am

Re: Bent shape

Postby megan blatt 2B » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:53 pm

Yes, the bent shape is also sometimes called angular. Also, a molecule with two bonds and a single lone pair is still considered bent. The difference between a bent molecule with one lone pair vs two lone pairs would be the bond angle. A bent molecule with two lone pairs would have a smaller bond angle than a bent molecule with one lone pair due to increased electron repulsion between the two lone pairs.

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests