VSEPR Bond and Regions

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

alicechien_4F

VSEPR Bond and Regions

Postby alicechien_4F » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:03 pm

Why are double and tripe bonding pairs still considered a single region of electron density and not affect the shape/bond angles? I'm confused because I thought if you had more electrons there would be a greater repulsion, so it would affect the shape and the bond angles. Thank you!

Lindsey Chheng 1E

Re: VSEPR Bond and Regions

Postby Lindsey Chheng 1E » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:41 pm

alicechien_1I wrote:Why are double and tripe bonding pairs still considered a single region of electron density and not affect the shape/bond angles? I'm confused because I thought if you had more electrons there would be a greater repulsion, so it would affect the shape and the bond angles. Thank you!

I think it's because as elements form a bond, their orbitals become a hybrid of the orbitals containing the bonding electrons. Hybrid orbitals are determined through steric number (total # bonding regions + lone pairs). The VSEPR model takes account of steric number and lone pairs in order to determine molecular geometry.

karinaseth_1A

Re: VSEPR Bond and Regions

Postby karinaseth_1A » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:00 pm

Even though there are more electrons, the electrons are also being shared between two atoms, which weakens their repulsive effects and allows us to treat them as one unit. Only lone bonding pairs are more repulsive than any bond order because they take up more space, while shared electrons in a bond are confined to a smaller area between two atoms.

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”