Molecular Shape v Electron Geometry

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Joanne Kang 3I

Molecular Shape v Electron Geometry

Postby Joanne Kang 3I » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:58 pm

What is the difference between molecular shape and electron geometry with regards to VESPR?

AArmellini_1I

Re: Molecular Shape v Electron Geometry

Postby AArmellini_1I » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:00 pm

It basically considering how the number of atoms bonded to the central atom will affect it's shape and how the number of electron dense regions (so bonded atom AND lone pairs) affect the bond angles of the initial shape. These two factors ultimately determine the shape of the molecule

Zoya Mulji 1K

Postby Zoya Mulji 1K » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:13 pm

With the electron geometry, all you have to consider is the number of things attached to the central atoms (lone pairs, atoms) to determine what the shape/geometry would be. When determining the molecular shape, you build off of this and determine how many of the "attached things" are lone pairs and how many are atoms. You use this information to understand bond angles and eventually the molecular shape.

kristi le 2F

Postby kristi le 2F » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:39 pm

Lone pairs do influence molecule shape but only atom positions are used to name the shape.

Maeve Miller 1A

Postby Maeve Miller 1A » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:40 pm

Electron geometry is in reference to the number of regions of electron density and what that shape entails, while molecular shape takes into account lone pairs and how that effects the shape of the molecule. For example, in cases of AX2E2, the electron geometry is tetrahedral, while the molecular shape is bent/angled.

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”