Preferential

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

AprilPaz

Preferential

Postby AprilPaz » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:28 pm

How does an atom having preference affect the molecular shape ? Dr. Lavelle brought up several times how Fluorine will change the dynamic since it has preference.

Brian J Cheng 1I

Re: Preferential

Postby Brian J Cheng 1I » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:35 pm

Molecular shape is based on the arrangement of atoms and areas of electron density. Higher or lower Ionization Energies or Electronegativities of atoms will not affect structure.

Eugene Chung 3F

Postby Eugene Chung 3F » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:41 pm

I think what he was trying emphasize is that stability is preferred and we can observe some patterns for different elements to reach that stability by sharing e-, etc

DHavo_1E

Postby DHavo_1E » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:36 pm

AprilPaz wrote:How does an atom having preference affect the molecular shape ? Dr. Lavelle brought up several times how Fluorine will change the dynamic since it has preference.

Hello,
The example he gave in lecture talked about CCl4 vs. HCCl3 and their preference for attraction. If a Na+ cation was held near these molecules, the orientation of the CCl4 molecule wouldn't matter because all Cl atoms have a partial negative charge, being attracted to the Na+ cation. However, for the second molecule, it will prefer to have an orientation where Cl will interact with Na+ instead of H interacting with Na+.

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”