Molecular Shape vs. Molecular Geometry

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

rachelle1K

Molecular Shape vs. Molecular Geometry

Postby rachelle1K » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:13 am

What’s the difference between molecular shape and geometry? We talked a bit about it during discussion but I’m just confused on what extent we need to know for the exam. Thank you!

Kevin Antony 2B

Re: Molecular Shape vs. Molecular Geometry

Postby Kevin Antony 2B » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:42 am

I believe molecular geometry is the shape of a molecule when taking into consideration lone pairs of electrons while the molecular shape is the shape of the molecule when no taking into account the lone pairs.

sarahforman_Dis2I

Postby sarahforman_Dis2I » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:07 am

105342880 wrote:What’s the difference between molecular shape and geometry? We talked a bit about it during discussion but I’m just confused on what extent we need to know for the exam. Thank you!

I think that the molecular geometry is the amount of bonding and lone pairs around the atoms. Molecular shape is the actual shape of the molecule, taking lone pairs into account. For example, the molecular geometry of CH4 and NH3 have the same molecular geometry (tetrahedral), but different molecular shapes.

rachelle1K

Postby rachelle1K » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:51 am

After looking a bit more into it I find that it also can be the difference between electron geometry and molecular geometry. They are essentially the same thing, but this naming is easier for me.

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”