Question 2F3 part b

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Lauren Haight 1E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Question 2F3 part b

Postby Lauren Haight 1E » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:27 pm

I am confused because the answer key for question 2F3 part b, it says "2 σ-bonds; 1 π-bond; there is also a resonance structure that includes 2 σ-bonds. 2 π-bonds." So, would this mean that we are required to find sigma and pi bonds for resonance structures as well?

Daria Azizad 1K

Re: Question 2F3 part b

Postby Daria Azizad 1K » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:40 pm

I think that both the structure w/ two double bonds and the structure w/ one double bond and one single bond are acceptable, so they are just giving answers for both.

Jordan Young 2J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Jordan Young 2J » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:42 pm

Daria Azizad 1K wrote:I think that both the structure w/ two double bonds and the structure w/ one double bond and one single bond are acceptable, so they are just giving answers for both.

But wouldn't the structure with one double bond and one single bond not be ideal because it doesn't minimize formal charge?

Amy Pham 1D

Postby Amy Pham 1D » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:47 pm

Jordan Young 3E wrote:
Daria Azizad 1K wrote:I think that both the structure w/ two double bonds and the structure w/ one double bond and one single bond are acceptable, so they are just giving answers for both.

But wouldn't the structure with one double bond and one single bond not be ideal because it doesn't minimize formal charge?

Technically yes, the structure with two double bonds is more stable in terms of formal charge. It is possible that minimizing formal charge and obtaining the most stable Lewis structure is not the focus of this section, so they just provide the answer based on the first fundamentally correct Lewis structure that is obtained.

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”