Polar vs. Nonpolar

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

RRahimtoola1I

Polar vs. Nonpolar

Postby RRahimtoola1I » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:37 pm

I understand that CH2Cl2 is polar because a tetrahedral shape isn't completely symmetrical. However if a shape is symmetrical like a square planar would it be considered nonpolar? For example if it was a square planar with two Cl and two H atoms around a central atom, would it be considered non polar?

Victoria Zheng--2F

Re: Polar vs. Nonpolar

Postby Victoria Zheng--2F » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:11 pm

It would still be considered as a polar molecule because the dipole moment of hydrogen might not be strong enough to cancel the dipole moment of chlorine and the arrangement of hydrogen and chlorine atoms in a square planar also affects the polarity of the molecule.

Joanne Lee 1J

Postby Joanne Lee 1J » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:23 pm

I think it would still be considered polar because the two Cl and the two H have different electronegativity values so the charges don't all cancel each other out.

Cassandra_1K

Postby Cassandra_1K » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:35 pm

It would be considered polar because of the dipole moment occurring between the central atom and chloride atom. You must take into consideration the differences in electronegativity.

Kassidy Ford 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Kassidy Ford 1I » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:57 am

RRahimtoola1G wrote:I understand that CH2Cl2 is polar because a tetrahedral shape isn't completely symmetrical. However if a shape is symmetrical like a square planar would it be considered nonpolar? For example if it was a square planar with two Cl and two H atoms around a central atom, would it be considered non polar?

I kind of see your point, because if the Cl were on opposite sides of each other, and the H atoms were on opposite sides of each other, wouldn't their respective dipoles cancel out?

Emma Popescu 1L

Postby Emma Popescu 1L » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:01 pm

Kassidy Ford 1J wrote:
RRahimtoola1G wrote:I understand that CH2Cl2 is polar because a tetrahedral shape isn't completely symmetrical. However if a shape is symmetrical like a square planar would it be considered nonpolar? For example if it was a square planar with two Cl and two H atoms around a central atom, would it be considered non polar?

I kind of see your point, because if the Cl were on opposite sides of each other, and the H atoms were on opposite sides of each other, wouldn't their respective dipoles cancel out?

The differing polarities of the C–H and C–Cl bonds means the effect of the dipoles are not cancelled, so the molecule is polar.

Claire Grover 3G

Postby Claire Grover 3G » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:12 pm

It would still be polar because the dipole moments would all have to be the same in order for them to cancel out.

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”