VSEPR and its relation to Hybridization

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Andrew F 2L

VSEPR and its relation to Hybridization

Postby Andrew F 2L » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:32 pm

How does a molecule's VSEPR model relate to the hybridization? Is it because the shape correlates to the orbitals overlapping like sp^2 is trigonal planar?

Ada Chung 1C

Re: VSEPR and its relation to Hybridization

Postby Ada Chung 1C » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:49 pm

I believe that hybridization is just the mixing of orbitals so that they are all the same energy. VSEPR helps determine the geometry/shape of the molecule. I think the two are still related that in order to find the hybridization of a certain atom you would need to count the number of bonds surrounding it in order to figure it out.

Liliana Aguas 3G

Postby Liliana Aguas 3G » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:05 pm

Yes, it'e because it's related to shape and because of the VSEPR you are able to determine if the molecule is nonpolar/ polar overall even if there is dipole moments which this contributes to how the molecule will react (form bonds) with other molecules and how many bonds at that which is where hybridization comes in.

Nathan Nakaguchi 1G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Nathan Nakaguchi 1G » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:17 pm

I think that the amount of electron densities a molecule has corresponds to the kind of hybridization shells may be present so VSEPR may be helpful in that if you know its shape you know the amount of electron densities. .

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”