Polarity

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

SajaZidan_1K

Polarity

Postby SajaZidan_1K » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:54 pm

What is the best way to understand polarity and apply it to molecules? Are there any rules I should memorize to be able to identify if the molecule I am looking at is polar or nonpolar? Are there any exceptions to general rules of polarity?

Ariana Iranmahboub1G

Re: Polarity

Postby Ariana Iranmahboub1G » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:57 pm

A polar molecular has polar bonds with dipoles that do not cancel. Polar bonds form when the electrons in covalent bond are not equally shared. This occurs when the electronegativity difference is high which would increase the difference in charge and increases the ionic character of the covalent bond.
Last edited by Ariana Iranmahboub1G on Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kimberly Koo 2I

Postby Kimberly Koo 2I » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:59 pm

In terms of making actual calculations, a bond is considered polar if the difference in electronegativity of the atoms in a bond is larger than 0.4. If the difference is less than 0.4 than the bond is nonpolar.

Megan Jung 3A

Postby Megan Jung 3A » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:07 pm

A polar molecule is based on the dipole moments of the molecule in relation to its 3d molecular structure. If there is a net dipole moment, then the molecule is polar resulting in partially charged sides of the molecule due to electron cloud distortion based on the electronegativity of atoms.

AniP_2D

Postby AniP_2D » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:59 pm

If a molecule has dipole moments that do not cancel, then it is polar. If the dipole moments do cancel, then it is non-polar. One general rule to know is that molecules with a tetrahedral shape generally are non-polar unless the the outer atoms are not identical. Also while linear shaped molecules are non-polar, those with a bent shaped are usually polar.

Juana Abana 1G

Postby Juana Abana 1G » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:36 pm

AniP_3B wrote:If a molecule has dipole moments that do not cancel, then it is polar. If the dipole moments do cancel, then it is non-polar. One general rule to know is that molecules with a tetrahedral shape generally are non-polar unless the the outer atoms are not identical. Also while linear shaped molecules are non-polar, those with a bent shaped are usually polar.

Thanks this is really helpful.

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”