Structure plausibility

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

AliAsh 1H

Structure plausibility

Postby AliAsh 1H » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:23 pm

As I was going through the HW, I was constantly confused as to how we determine exactly which structure of a molecule is most plausible. Is it just the one with the least number of formal charges on it?

Arti_Patel_3H

Re: Structure plausibility

Postby Arti_Patel_3H » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:27 pm

I went by that parameter - the structure with the least number of formal charges - and I got the answers right on Sapling.

Susan Chamling 1F

Postby Susan Chamling 1F » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:35 pm

I had difficulty determining the plausibility of the structure as well, but I mainly looked at how the charges were dispersed throughout the structure (evenly or not), and if an electronegative atom was holding the charge (I believe my TA mentioned that the more electronegative the atom, the better it holds the charge)

Hasan Mirza 3F

Postby Hasan Mirza 3F » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:37 pm

The most stable structure will be the one with the least formal charges, but the location of those charges is also important. It is more stable for the negative formal charges to be on the more electronegative atoms and positive formal charges on the less electronegative atoms. Sapling #5 is a good example related to this concept.

Sara_Lim_2C

Postby Sara_Lim_2C » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:39 pm

Yeah,I believe in general it's the structure that has the lowest total charge, but if you have structures with the same total charge, it's the one that has the least atoms with non-zero formal charges. It also has to do with electronegativity, as someone above already explained :D

IshanModiDis2L

Postby IshanModiDis2L » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:53 pm

When determining the most stable structure, we must consider the individual charges of each element and choose the one with the least formal charges with the most electronegative element having the most negative formal charge and the less electronegative atoms to have positive formal charges.

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”