Memorizing Shape Names

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Charlene D 3H

Memorizing Shape Names

Postby Charlene D 3H » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:31 pm

Hi I'm wondering if any of y'all have helpful mneumonics or memory tricks for remembering the name of a molecule and its corresponding shape.
Thank you, I appreciate it! (:

Farah Abumeri 3F
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Memorizing Shape Names

Postby Farah Abumeri 3F » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:33 pm

I think what's really helpful is just doing the homework and sapling problems. The more practice you do, the more easily the names and bond angles will come to you. Also, for even more practice, attend the workshops/step-up sessions!

Sydney Lam_2I

Postby Sydney Lam_2I » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:34 pm

Hi!

Most of the time how I memorize the names and shape is when I draw it out. Drawing it out definitely helps me identify certain ones like trigonal planar or tetrahedral. Also, look at the greek prefixes because they give a hint about what it should look like.

StephanieGrigorian2J

Postby StephanieGrigorian2J » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:38 pm

I would think of it by making associations with the actual name and the shape. For example, trigonal has the prefix "tri-" which means three, and there are 3 atoms around the central atom for a trigonal shape. Tetrahedral has the prefix "tetra-" which means four, and there are 4 atoms surrounding the central atom for a tetrahedral shape.

Keon Amirazodi 3H

Postby Keon Amirazodi 3H » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:47 pm

I would just keep doing a quizlet set over and over until I understand them all. Don't really know a neumoncic.

Shalyn Kelly 3H

Postby Shalyn Kelly 3H » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:56 pm

As stated above, you can try "dissecting" the shape names to better understand them. I learn best from practice, so looking at different random shapes and naming them might help too.

Megan Lu 3D

Postby Megan Lu 3D » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:57 pm

Hi! Personally, I don’t have any specific mnemonics to remember the names of the different shapes (other than looking at the prefixes), but I usually memorize them simply by drawing them all out on a blank sheet of paper without my notes. Hope this helps!

DominicMalilay 1F

Postby DominicMalilay 1F » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:59 pm

Quizlet is a life saver!

Jared Limqueco 3E

Postby Jared Limqueco 3E » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:00 pm

For memorizing these shapes, just grind quizlet. Or just make some educated guess on a mc question.

Joshua Swift

Postby Joshua Swift » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:05 pm

I feel like specifically understanding why certain shapes are named the way they are helps you memorize them more easily. Shapes like linear, bent, trigonal planar, and trigonal pyramidal all describe the shape given, so try not to get worked up by all the new terms just try to figure out why they have those names.

Mrudula Akkinepally

Postby Mrudula Akkinepally » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:16 pm

I think doing the homework will definitely help, but I personally find flash cards to be the best way to do it. Quizlet is perfectly fine, but a lot of people rave about this app called aanki ( don’t quote me on the spelling lol) if you want to try it out!

David Facio 3C

Postby David Facio 3C » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:17 pm

Quizlet is definitely helpful, but I'm an old soul and I prefer flash cards. This way you can study anywhere without having to rely on a charged phone or laptop.

Unfortunately I don't think this is something that acronyms or mneumonics will help with.

I would definitely just have the structural drawing on one side and the facts/name on the other side.

The names of the structures are somewhat intuitive.
Trigonal Planar comes easily to me since I immediately think of a flat (planar) three (tri) sided object.
Tetrahedral, just remember FOUR!
Trigonal Bi-Pyramidal, think of three bonds on one plane, and two bonds (one coming towards you and one going away)
You just gotta take them one by one and come up with your own way of memorizing them, INCLUDING ANGLE VALUES!

I also like Megan's response, wherein she stated that she draws them out on a blank sheet of paper from memory without notes.
If you can explain the structures and angles in full detail, to someone else without your notes, YOU'RE GOLDEN!

Hope this helps! :)

Kyle Dizon 3A

Postby Kyle Dizon 3A » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:28 pm

Personally, the only way that it has been helping me is to hop on quizlet and memorize from there.

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”