shape

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Hana Sigsbee 3B

shape

Postby Hana Sigsbee 3B » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:33 pm

I understand how to determine the shape based on the 3d models but I'm not 100% on how to do so without, could anyone please give me a basic overview on how to do so. I know this is a bit of a silly question, but thank you.

Olivia Monroy 1A

Re: shape

Postby Olivia Monroy 1A » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:38 pm

Hi! You should use the VSEPR model to find the correct notation of the molecule. Certain notations make the shape clear. For example CH4 and CCl4 both have VSEPR formulas of AX4 so you know they have the same shape which is tetrahedral! Also simply looking at your lewis structure and the lone vs bonding pairs can give you some idea as to what the shape will be.. one lone pair will push the bonding pairs closer together (Sulfite ion), two lone pairs even more so (H2O).

Sophia Kalanski 1A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Sophia Kalanski 1A » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:39 pm

Well I think its best to start with drawing out the lewis structure to figure out how many bonds are present and from there when you know that there are lone pairs or not, you can figure out approximately how far the angles would be from each pair of electrons that require the least repulsion efforts. This can give you the general 3d shape.

Isaias Gomez D3A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Isaias Gomez D3A » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:41 pm

Once you draw the Lewis Structure, determine the electron groups to figure out whether they are linear (2 groups), trigonal (3), tetrahedral (4), trigonal-bipyramidal (5), octahedral (6).

Keon Amirazodi 3H

Postby Keon Amirazodi 3H » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:43 pm

First, draw the lewis structure. Then count the number of lone pairs and bonding pairs of electrons. Each combination lone pair vs. bonding pair corresponds to an individual molecular shape. This is all based on VSPER.

Megan Lu 3D

Postby Megan Lu 3D » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:47 pm

Hi! Like others have mentioned, I would start by drawing the Lewis structure, and then look at the bonding/lone electron pairs, which should correspond to a specific molecular shape, specified by the VSEPR model/formulas. Hope this helps!

Joshua Swift

Postby Joshua Swift » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:26 pm

I recommend always drawing your lewis structure first, then determining how many bonding regions there are. From there, you can use the VSEPR model to find out what the specific shape is.

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”