different shapes given in notes

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Hana Sigsbee 3B

different shapes given in notes

Postby Hana Sigsbee 3B » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:53 pm

will all the molecules we have to determine the shape of be one of the shapes given to us in our notes, or are there any other shapes we should know about? Also just to double-check the shapes we have been given are: linear, angular, trigonal planar, trigonal pyramidal, t-shaped, tetrahedral, see-saw, square planar, trigonal bipyramidal, square pyramidal, octahedral, and pentagonal bipyramidal.

Joseph Hsing 2C

Re: different shapes given in notes

Postby Joseph Hsing 2C » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:09 pm

The only shapes we will have to know will be the ones directly covered in lecture! He won't test us on material that he hasn't discussed.

Lauren Strickland 1B

Postby Lauren Strickland 1B » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:13 pm

I think we have to know all the shapes covered in lecture.

keely_bales_1f

Postby keely_bales_1f » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:17 pm

When I went to Justin's UA session, he said that we should know more shapes just to be safe, but also to help us prepare of organic chemistry. He shared a link with us during his Saturday session which allows you to see a visual of each of the shapes in the VSEPR Model. I have attached the link below! (Also, Justin said to only use this link for memorizing shapes and not the angles since he wasn't sure if all the angels mentioned were accurate.)
http://intro.chem.okstate.edu/1314F00/L ... VSEPR.html

Kyle Dizon 3A

Postby Kyle Dizon 3A » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:33 pm

It is probably essential that we know all of the shapes that was discussed during the lecture. Just to be safe, I think it will be better if we familiarize ourselves beyond what we need to know to prepare us for organic chemistry.

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”