What is coplanar?

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jalaia Jackson 2G

What is coplanar?

Postby Jalaia Jackson 2G » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:58 am

How does an even number lead to a coplanar on a molecule? Are coplanars important to molecule structure?

Jiwon_Chae_3L

Re: What is coplanar?

Postby Jiwon_Chae_3L » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:38 am

Coplanar just means that the atoms in the molecule are on the same flat surface when visualized. An even number of carbon atoms in the molecule given leads to coplanar hydrogen atoms because the terminal C-C pi bonds are parallel to each other, and this can only occur with an even x value.

Jonathan Banh 1G

Postby Jonathan Banh 1G » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:39 am

I believe you are referring to question #19 on the Sapling homework for weeks #7 - 8. Just for starters, coplanar means that the atoms in question lie on the same plane as one another and thus, are not perpendicular. I like to think of it as being parallel. This way of thinking ties into understanding the solution because for even numbers of carbon atoms, the end pi bonds that form are parallel to each other and thus, the hydrogen atoms are parallel to one another. Hence, they lie on the same plane. Meanwhile for odd numbers of carbon atoms, the pi bonds that form are perpendicular to each other, meaning the hydrogen atoms are perpendicular to one another. Therefore, they are not on the same plane. In general, to determine coplanarity, you must observe the bonding and hybridization taking place within the molecule. I do not think they are necessarily important to molecular structure, however, they are likely to be crucial to a molecule's properties.

Veeda Khan 2E

Postby Veeda Khan 2E » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:24 am

Like others said above, coplanar is essentially that the atoms are parallel to each other (if you were to draw a Lewis structure, you would be able to see them on the same level).

Raashi Chaudhari 3B

Postby Raashi Chaudhari 3B » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:27 am

When things are coplanar it means it lies in the same plane. There is an x, y, and z plan. So, if something were coplanar all the molecules would be in the same plane. If you picture something that is trigonal planar, it is 'flat' and all the atoms are in the same plane or as explained above all parallel.

Ansh Patel 2I

Postby Ansh Patel 2I » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:33 am

Hi! When atoms are coplanar, it just means that the atoms are on the same plane (parallel). With even numbers, the pi bonds in carbon are parallel to each other which allows the hydrogen bonds to be parallel as well.

Shalyn Kelly 3H

Postby Shalyn Kelly 3H » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:54 am

Since #19 was mentioned, my sapling questions #11 and #19 are the same question (both are "What is the hybridization of phosphorus in each of the molecules or ions?"), should they be this way?

Jordan_OBrien_2k

Postby Jordan_OBrien_2k » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:03 pm

I'm pretty sure that coplanar just means that they are on the same plane (I just think of it as co meaning together to remember this).

IshanModiDis2L

Postby IshanModiDis2L » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:03 pm

I think it just refers to the fact that they are on the same plane/surface and an even number of carbon atoms leads to coplanar hydrogen atoms as the C-C bonds are parallel to each other

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”