polar vs non-polar

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Hana Sigsbee 3B

polar vs non-polar

Postby Hana Sigsbee 3B » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:52 pm

to determine if the bonds are polar or non-polar we just have to know if the two elements have the same electronegativity or not correct? And if they do have the same it's non-polar and if they're different it's polar?

reyvalui_3g

Re: polar vs non-polar

Postby reyvalui_3g » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:00 pm

Yes, that is right when evaluating two different atoms.

Chance Herbert 3A

Postby Chance Herbert 3A » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:05 pm

It is also to consider the shape of the molecule. For example, polar bonds arising from differing electronegativities of central and bonded atoms may form on a molecule with a trigonal planar shape; however, this molecule will be nonpolar given the fact that electrons are evenly distributed about these bonded atoms.

IshanModiDis2L

Postby IshanModiDis2L » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:30 pm

I would say that when considering if a bond is polar or non-polar, I would compare the electronegativity of the two atoms as the more electronegative atom is more likely to pull the shared pair. Id also consider the shape of the molecule because polar bonds arising from differing electronegativities of bonded atoms may form a nonpolar shape due to the fact that electrons are evenly distributed about these bonded atoms.

apurva-3E

Postby apurva-3E » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:04 pm

Consider the difference in electronegativity as well as the shape of the molecule.

Gillian Gabrielsen2F
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Gillian Gabrielsen2F » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:24 pm

The electronegativity of the two atoms doesn't necessary have to be the same. The bond can also be considered nonpolar if the values are extremely close to each other. An example is a bond C-H bond. Carbon and Hydrogen have different electronegativities, but the difference is so slight the bond is effectively nonpolar.

Brian Nguyen 2I

Postby Brian Nguyen 2I » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:41 pm

Just look at the electronegativity. If there's a notable difference between the two electronegativities, then the bond is polar. If there isn't a notable difference, then the bond is non-polar.

Ethan Goode 2H

Postby Ethan Goode 2H » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:48 pm

That is correct looking at just one bond. Seeing if a whole molecule is polar or not depends on what way the dipole moments are going and if they cancel or not.

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”