Polar/non-polar bonds vs molecules

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jenny Chau 1I

Polar/non-polar bonds vs molecules

Postby Jenny Chau 1I » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:25 pm

I don't know if I missed this during lecture or something but what's the difference between polar/non-polar bonds and molecules?

dana hu 1B
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Polar/non-polar bonds vs molecules

Postby dana hu 1B » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:28 pm

hello! the main difference between polar and nonpolar bonds is that polar bonds occur between elements with different electronegativity whereas non-polar bonds occur between with the same electronegativity.

Bailey Giovanoli 1L

Postby Bailey Giovanoli 1L » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:31 pm

So, essentially a polar bond is a bond where the electrons are not shared equally. You can tell this by looking at the electronegativity of the individual atoms. The higher the electronegativity difference between the two atoms the more polar the bond is. In terms of the polarity of a molecule, it's the same idea. If a molecule has a bunch of polar bonds and they do not cancel based on the arrangement, it is a polar molecule.

Gina Spagarino 3G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Gina Spagarino 3G » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:31 pm

If a symmetrical molecule has all polar bonds, but of the same element, it is a nonpolar molecule . So, the B--F bond in BF3 is polar because of F's higher electronegativity, but the molecule itself is nonpolar. If the charges cancel (which only happens with symmetrical shapes), the molecule is nonpolar.

Shreya Patel- 2D

Postby Shreya Patel- 2D » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:32 pm

It is also important to remember that polar bonds does not mean a molecule is polar. For example, in BeCl2 the molecule is nonpolar but the Be-Cl bonds are polar.

Brian Nguyen 2I

Postby Brian Nguyen 2I » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:53 pm

Polar bonds are formed based on if there is a notable difference in electronegativity between two elements within a molecule. Polar molecules are formed when the dipole moments formed due to polar bonds don't cancel out. If they do cancel out, then these molecules are nonpolar.

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”