Resonance Structure Definition

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Brendan Duong 1I

Resonance Structure Definition

Postby Brendan Duong 1I » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:08 pm

Can someone clarify what it means to have the same atom connectivities with resonance structures? And the same overall charges? That doesn't mean that all the individual atoms have to have the same FC right?

Chanel Mao 3D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Resonance Structure Definition

Postby Chanel Mao 3D » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:11 pm

Hi!
In resonance structures you are basically only moving/changing where the electrons are - the atoms themselves stay in a fixed position. In resonance structures, the overall formal charge of the molecule should stay the same, but FC for individual atoms can change. Hope this helped!

Ivan Chen 2H

Postby Ivan Chen 2H » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:14 pm

The overall structures of atoms don't change but their bonds (single/double/triple) can change

Brendan Duong 1I

Postby Brendan Duong 1I » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:20 pm

Chanel Mao 2F wrote:Hi!
In resonance structures you are basically only moving/changing where the electrons are - the atoms themselves stay in a fixed position. In resonance structures, the overall formal charge of the molecule should stay the same, but FC for individual atoms can change. Hope this helped!

So in other words, its basically the exact same molecule/lewis structure except you move the double bond/triple bond to another of the same atom?

Chanel Mao 3D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Chanel Mao 3D » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:25 pm

Brendan Duong 1I wrote:
Chanel Mao 2F wrote:Hi!

So in other words, its basically the exact same molecule/lewis structure except you move the double bond/triple bond to another of the same atom?

Yeah pretty much, you are basically only moving bonds and/or lone pairs.

Aydin Karatas 1F

Postby Aydin Karatas 1F » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:26 pm

Same atom connectivity refers to compounds arranging their atoms in the same way. This makes sense for resonance structures because atom arrangement is the same, only the electrons are moving. Between each resonance structure, the overall charge stays the same but FC per atom might differ between different variations.

Hope this helps!

Earl Garrovillo 2L

Postby Earl Garrovillo 2L » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:29 pm

Brendan Duong 1I wrote: So in other words, its basically the exact same molecule/lewis structure except you move the double bond/triple bond to another of the same atom?

Yes, to everything but that last part. The atoms are all in the same spot and only the double/triple bonds are "moving". They don't always have to go to another of the same atom though, since the delocalized electron can be drawn on any bond that it fits and sometimes this could be on a different element.

And also to answer the last question on your initial post, the FC can differ within all the atoms and all their resonance structures. All as long as the net charge/all the FC added is the same for each resonance structure.

Aria Movassaghi 1A

Postby Aria Movassaghi 1A » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:36 pm

Molecular formula will remain the same but position and types of bonds can change. This will cause some structures to be more or less stable.

Karen Elrayes 1L

Postby Karen Elrayes 1L » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:44 pm

Whenever there is more than one way to draw a structure by moving around the bonds, we have resonance

DominicMalilay 1F

Postby DominicMalilay 1F » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:45 pm

In other words, it is pretty much like resonance!

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”