Delocalized Bonds

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Melanie Krahn 1C

Delocalized Bonds

Postby Melanie Krahn 1C » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:45 pm

Hello! Could someone please help explain to me the importance of delocalized bonds and how we are supposed to visually identify them in a given molecule?

Izamary Marquez 2H

Re: Delocalized Bonds

Postby Izamary Marquez 2H » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:53 pm

In addition to this question, do the formal charges change significantly when there is a delocalized bond? Or would it generally be the same?

Isaac Wen
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Isaac Wen » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:14 pm

Melanie Krahn 1C wrote:Hello! Could someone please help explain to me the importance of delocalized bonds and how we are supposed to visually identify them in a given molecule?

Delocalized bonds happen in resonance structures so if you know a compound/molecule has several possible structures, that might be an indication that there may be a delocalized bond.

Summer_Corona 3L
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Summer_Corona 3L » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:21 pm

Izamary Marquez 2L wrote:In addition to this question, do the formal charges change significantly when there is a delocalized bond? Or would it generally be the same?

I think it would depend on the molecule how greatly the formal charge is affected once you move the bond.

Jamie2002

Postby Jamie2002 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:58 pm

Delocalized bonds occur in resonance structures, where the electrons are equally shared between all the bonds.

Chris_Butler_1A

Postby Chris_Butler_1A » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:57 pm

There was an example given with Benzene (C6H6) where the structure was seen to have a Delocalized ring of 6 electrons, each given by the 1 unhybridized electron of each Carbon. I was wondering, in this case, does the delocalization of the electrons mean that they are not specifically "attached" to the Carbon they originated from? It seemed from the description that they were separated in some way but I was unsure of how exactly they were different from a regular electron cloud.

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”