Delocalized Pi Bond

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ashley Lopez 3J

Delocalized Pi Bond

Postby Ashley Lopez 3J » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:10 pm

In the homework, a hint for a problem stated "Delocalized π bonds occur when π orbitals extend over more than two atoms", but I'm still a bit confused when it talks about it being a pi orbital? Does it just mean there are more than a single bond between two atoms?

Hannah Alltucker 3L

Re: Delocalized Pi Bond

Postby Hannah Alltucker 3L » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:39 pm

A pi bond is a bond where two side to side P orbitals overlap one another (you can look up some images to get a better grasp of this). You would be right when it means that it would have to be greater than a single bond, either being a double or triple (each with have pi bonds). The pi orbital phrase could be worded better, but it really just means that it is the orbital that is being bonded, and in this case it is being done so in a pi bond manner (side to side).

Callan Howard

Postby Callan Howard » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:44 pm

Here’s a good image to add on to what Hannah said. The “delocalized pi system” is a good example of a visual of a delocalized pi bond in action.
https://useruploads.socratic.org/cQFnL6 ... ns.svg.png

AdilaAhmed3I

Postby AdilaAhmed3I » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:47 pm

Delocalized pi bonds can occur in resonance structures. A bond pair can seem to move between two different pairs of atoms which can be seen in the different resonance structures. They are considered delocalized because the pi bond found in the double bond is shared among the bonds and does not belong to just one.

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”