Sapling 17

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ashley Lopez 3J

Sapling 17

Postby Ashley Lopez 3J » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:12 pm

The question asked to draw three possible Lewis structures for C3H4, but none of them were resonance structures, but why is this? It seems like one of them could have been, so why was that not an acceptable answer?

SophiaJenny3I
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Sapling 17

Postby SophiaJenny3I » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:16 pm

Hi! This question confused me a bit as well, but once I figured it out I clicked on the "solution" button on the homework for that question and the explanation was great! Here it is:
"Resonance structures are multiple Lewis structures that collectively represent a molecule. Resonance structures must all have the same molecular formulas, the same atom connectivities, the same overall charges, and the same number of electrons. Given that all three of these compounds have different atom connectivities, none of them are resonance structures of another."
Hope this helps!

Callan Howard

Postby Callan Howard » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:26 pm

I think maybe you are misreading the question. The question asks if any of the three are resonance formulas of each other, which they are not because they all have different atom connectivities. Does that make sense?

Ruth Rosales 3D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Ruth Rosales 3D » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:41 pm

None of them are resonance structures to one another. To have resonance, they must check the following:

- same molecular formula
- same atom connectivities
- same overall charges
- same number of electrons

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”