Easiest Way to Memorize Shape Names

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Daniel Hernandez 1G

Easiest Way to Memorize Shape Names

Postby Daniel Hernandez 1G » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:43 pm

What is a useful way one can recall the names of shapes of molecular compounds?

Emma Healy 2J

Re: Easiest Way to Memorize Shape Names

Postby Emma Healy 2J » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:45 pm

I think just doing a lot of practice problems is beneficial in memorizing the shapes and bond angles and becoming more familiar with the molecules. I also think that being able to visualize the 3D shape of the molecule is helpful. One of the UA's shared this website with us: http://intro.chem.okstate.edu/1314F00/L ... VSEPR.html

Ryan Hoang 1D

Postby Ryan Hoang 1D » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:46 pm

Honestly, I agree with the other poster. I'd just advise doing practice problems, and really visualizing the molecules that he showed us in class. Try to remember what they look like, and how they all fit together.

Andy Hernandez

Postby Andy Hernandez » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:46 pm

Emam Healy 2K wrote:I think just doing a lot of practice problems is beneficial in memorizing the shapes and bond angles and becoming more familiar with the molecules. I also think that being able to visualize the 3D shape of the molecule is helpful. One of the UA's shared this website with us: http://intro.chem.okstate.edu/1314F00/L ... VSEPR.html

hey i clicked on the link and it didnt work. Can u fix it so we can check out the website please

Veronica Macias 3K
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Veronica Macias 3K » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:46 pm

I find going through the textbook problems multiple times a good way to get practice in memorizing the shapes. You could also make a quizlet or flashcards and go through those to get repetition.

Megan ODonnell 3F

Postby Megan ODonnell 3F » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:47 pm

I make a Quizlet and go through it until I get all of the shape names correct.

Amanda Bueno-Kling
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Amanda Bueno-Kling » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:49 pm

I also find that drawing them out helps a lot. In my notes, I drew them as Dr. Lavelle showed them in lecture, since I tend to learn visually. It really helps me to draw them and practice seeing how they build up. Reviewing the lectures where Dr. Lavelle showed us the shapes with his 3D models might also be helpful to you.
Lastly, if you can memorize them easier by making connections to other shapes, I find this helpful. For example, a tetrahedral with a lone pair as one of the components would be a trigonal pyramidal, which we can get by visualizing a tetrahedral and then taking off the top part.

Mehreen 3I

Postby Mehreen 3I » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:49 pm

One thing I've found helpful is that instead of memorizing the bonding pairs to the shape name just try visualizing it and associating the image with the name. There are also a lot of quizlets and youtube videos if that helps!

Sarah Salam 1J

Postby Sarah Salam 1J » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:52 pm

Is there a full list of shapes we could use to practice each one? Should I just write down what Dr. Lavelle went over in lecture, or are there more?

Sheryl Ocampo 1D

Postby Sheryl Ocampo 1D » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:52 pm

I'd recommend just doing practice problems and trying to understand the concepts behind determining molecular shapes

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”