Planar Molecular Shape

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Planar Molecular Shape

Postby 805812306 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:41 pm

What determines whether an organic linear molecule is planar or not? Is it that molecules with an even number of carbons have a planar shape while odd carbons mean non-planar?

Thanks in advance

AudreyQian1J

Re: Planar Molecular Shape

Postby AudreyQian1J » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:09 pm

Hello,
I believe we can look at hybridization. Generally, a molecule would not be planar if it has an sp3 hybridized carbon/nitrogen atom or two sp2 hybridized carbon/nitrogen atoms. Anything otherwise would generally allow the structure to be planar.

Sohan Talluri 1L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Planar Molecular Shape

Postby Sohan Talluri 1L » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:29 pm

As far as I know, the number of carbons alone doesn't determine whether an organic linear molecule is planar or not. However, whether a molecule is planar can be determined by the molecular geometries of individual atoms and their sigma/pi bonds. For example, if one of the carbons in the organic linear molecule has tetrahedral bonding surrounding it, this would make the molecule nonplanar. Additionally, if the carbons in the linear molecule are only connected by sigma bond (single bond), then they are free to rotate, making the molecule nonplanar. However, if two carbons are connected by both a sigma and a pi bond (double bond), the pi bond does not allow the carbons to rotate and ensures that the two carbons remain planar.

Hopefully this helps and please correct me if there are any mistakes.

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”