Hybridization  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sara Juarez 1B

Hybridization

Postby Sara Juarez 1B » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:49 pm

On page 189 of our course reader, question 6A gives the Lewis structure for amino acid proline and asks for the hybridization for specific atoms of the structure. I am only able to get the hybridization of the nitrogen atom and the last oxygen atom on the far right. I have been using AXE to find hybridization but I can not seem to get the same answers as the textbook, maybe I am overthinking it but can someone please walk me through finding the hybridization of carbon in the ring structure?

Vivian Tan 3F

Re: Hybridization  [ENDORSED]

Postby Vivian Tan 3F » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:39 pm

Remember that hybridizations involve all areas of electron density, so that includes both bonds and lone pairs.

The carbon in the ring structure of proline has 2 bonds between them, so it means that the carbon must have 2 pairs of lone pairs (to add up to 8 electrons total, to fulfill the octet rule). This adds up to 4 areas of electron density, which corresponds to sp3 hybridization.

Review lecture notes from July 11th on hybridization!:
2 regions of e- density: sp
3 regions of e- density: sp2
4 regions of e- density: sp3
5 regions of e- density: spd3d (or dsp3)
... and so forth.

AXE notation is used for VSEPR and to determine shapes of molecules.

HannahLewis

Re: Hybridization

Postby HannahLewis » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:34 am

Since it has a sp3 density, does that also mean that it has a tetrahedral structure as well?

KelseyKobayashi_2M

Postby KelseyKobayashi_2M » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:37 pm

HannahLewis wrote:Since it has a sp3 density, does that also mean that it has a tetrahedral structure as well?

I believe if all 4 positions of electron density are occupied by electrons, then it's tetrahedral, but if 3 of the 4 positions are occupied, then the shape is trigonal pyramidal.

Skolli20

Postby Skolli20 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:41 pm

The part I'm confused about is how you know that one area of electron density is sp, or that three is 2sp2 etc. If someone could please explain that?

Return to “Hybridization”