Hybridizaton Textbook equation

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

keyanabogan 2J

Hybridizaton Textbook equation

Postby keyanabogan 2J » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:22 pm

In the textbook when it begins to talk about hybridization it mentions a few equations. These equations include the s-orbitals and s-orbitals. For example, some of the equations were h1=s+px+py+pz and h2=s-px-py+pz. I don't understand specifically what these equations show us about hybrid orbital or the concept behind them.

Michael Lesgart 1H

Re: Hybridizaton Textbook equation

Postby Michael Lesgart 1H » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:49 pm

I assume that the equations must mean that the first hybridization for the atom has one s orbital and 3 p orbitals (hence px, py, pz). Therefore, you can conclude that the hybridization is sp3. You can also determine the hybridization of an atom by finding how many regions of electron density there are. So if an atom has four regions of electron density, the hybridization is sp3. If an atom has three regions of electron density, the hybridization would be sp2 and so on.
I hope this helped!

Lauren_Bui_1A

Re: Hybridizaton Textbook equation

Postby Lauren_Bui_1A » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:14 pm

Also for the signs, in h1 the s and p orbitals all have their usual signs and their amplitudes add together to be all positive. But in h2, px and py are negative, so the resulting interference pattern is different.

Return to “Hybridization”