Ch 4 #95

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

donnanguyen1d

Ch 4 #95

Postby donnanguyen1d » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:03 pm

How come in the answers the hybridization includes numbers like 1 and 2. For example, Carbon's hybridization is 2sp^2. what does the first 2 stand for or mean?

Lena Nguyen 2H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Ch 4 #95

Postby Lena Nguyen 2H » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:16 pm

The first two means the s and p orbitals were from the second energy level (as in n =2).

Mike Vinci 2B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Ch 4 #95

Postby Mike Vinci 2B » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:38 pm

I see that this has already been answered, but I'd like to expand on hybridization in general for anyone who comes across this topic. When were looking to use the VESPR theory to describe the structure of molecules, the hybridization of an atom is based of the steric number, that is the steric number = the number of atoms bonded to the atom + the number of lone pairs the atom has. Once we find this, we can understand that an atom with a steric number of three will have the hybridization of sp^2. Now, as Lena mentioned, the number in front of our hybridized is the energy level in which it exists. I want to emphasize that this number adds to the variation of orbitals about our atom, and the bonding characteristics molecules may have. We originally began class a few weeks ago with our general energy levels and sub shells, and now have expanded to hybridizing orbitals of many different sub levels, so the diversity of chemistry becomes clear. Hope this helps!

Return to “Hybridization”