Order of s,p,d in Names of Hybrid Orbitals

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Thuy-Anh Bui 1I
Been upvoted: 2 times

Order of s,p,d in Names of Hybrid Orbitals

Postby Thuy-Anh Bui 1I » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:42 pm

When naming hybridization, do the hybrid orbitals have to be written in the same order as the atomic orbitals (s,p,d,f) in electron configurations? For example, when we write the electron configuration of elements that contain electrons in the d-orbital, we write Ni: [Ar]3d84s2, with the d-orbital electrons placed before the s-orbital electrons. When hybrid orbitals include the d-orbital, are they written dsp3 or sp3d or does it not matter?

Mike Vinci 2B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Order of s,p,d in Names of Hybrid Orbitals

Postby Mike Vinci 2B » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:07 pm

I also didn't think of this before you asked, and I'm not sure if Professor Lavelle has touched about the d-orbital and hybridization in class (I'm sure he will.) However, after researching the internet, I found that you DO place the d infront of the s and p orbitals as you would do given the molecule does not have hybridization of orbitals. So, using your example, it would be dsp^3. In addition, you can also place subscripts for the d orbital as well (E.g. d^2sp^3), for when you move up into higher energy levels, you can be more specific and properly identify the hybridization of the molecule's orbitals. As far as reasoning goes, I'm taking an educated guess that the same concept applies for placing the d-orbital before the s-orbital. When we get to the 4s and 3d orbitals, the lower energy level of 4s is filled first, however, after we begin adding electrons to the 3d sub shell, it becomes less in energy and so we express it as 3d4s. I believe with hybridization you do this as well because the energy levels remain the same(they might change in energy I'm not positive, whereas hybridization is more focused on which orbitals are expressed at that energy level. I hope some of what I said is right, but if others could weigh in it would help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7zpdYS6abo

Also, this video elaborates on the d-orbital if your curious, but doesn't explain why the d is placed in front.

MichelleKaku1H

Postby MichelleKaku1H » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:46 am

In my discussion today, we talked about this issue, and my TA said that it shouldn't matter what order you put it in, whether the d be in the front or end. The reason the order is so important in electron configuration is to help with the charged atoms. But for hybrid orbitals, it shouldn't matter!

Alissa Stanley 3G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Alissa Stanley 3G » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:49 am

I am still confused as to why the order does not matter in hybrids. Could I get more clarity on this issue?

Return to “Hybridization”