Homework Help 4.87

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

John Huang 1G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Homework Help 4.87

Postby John Huang 1G » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:25 pm

In addition to forming sigma and pi types of bonds similar to p-orbitals, d-orbitals may overlap to form delta-bonds. (a) Draw overlap diagrams showing three different ways in which d-orbitals can combine to form bonds. (b) Place the three types of d-d bonds—sigma ,pi , and delta —in order of strongest to weakest?

Can someone help me understand how are delta bonds formed and what structures can form them?

Additionally, I understand how sigma bonds are usually stronger than pi bonds; but I do not understand how the strength of a delta bond compares to that of a sigma or pi bond.
Thanks

Sarah_Stay_1D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Homework Help 4.87

Postby Sarah_Stay_1D » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:13 pm

John Huang 3K wrote:In addition to forming sigma and pi types of bonds similar to p-orbitals, d-orbitals may overlap to form delta-bonds. (a) Draw overlap diagrams showing three different ways in which d-orbitals can combine to form bonds. (b) Place the three types of d-d bonds—sigma ,pi , and delta —in order of strongest to weakest?

Can someone help me understand how are delta bonds formed and what structures can form them?

Additionally, I understand how sigma bonds are usually stronger than pi bonds; but I do not understand how the strength of a delta bond compares to that of a sigma or pi bond.
Thanks

d-orbitals have four lobes. So, since delta bonds are formed from the overlap of two d-orbitals, the four lobes of one atom would have to overlap with the four lobes of another orbital (I attached a picture that might help). Delta-bonds are found in compounds with quadruple bonds. In molecules with quadruple bonds there is one sigma bond, two pi bonds, and one delta bond. Since delta-bonds make up a quadruple bond, these bonds will be stronger than molecules with single, double, and triple bonds.
Attachments
Delta_bonding_cartoon.jpg
Delta_bonding_cartoon.jpg (24.88 KiB) Viewed 355 times

Return to “Hybridization”