Differences Between Pi and Sigma bonds

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

KC Navarro_1H

Differences Between Pi and Sigma bonds

Postby KC Navarro_1H » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:00 pm

What are some differences to remember between pi and sigma bonds? If I remember correctly, sigma bonds are more flexible than pi bonds, and double and triple bonds are made up of a mix of the two. What else is important to remember about them? Thank you!

804991762_4A

Re: Differences Between Pi and Sigma bonds

Postby 804991762_4A » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:04 pm

For me, I find it useful to remember how they overlap such as that there's an axis and sigma lays along the axis, while pi is above/below the bond axis.

Aryana Nazem 1A

Postby Aryana Nazem 1A » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:21 pm

all bonds have one sigma bond, when you have two bonds there is one sigma and one pi bond, and when you have a triple bond you have your sigma and two pi bonds. I think this is an important rule to remember and to be able to distinguish

Anthony Mercado 1K

Postby Anthony Mercado 1K » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:07 pm

So, in relation to sigma and pie bonds, does each increase in bond length constrain the molecule on an increasing number of axis(s)? That is, a sigma bond just constrains it on an axis, a pi bond would not allow it to rotate, and a triple bond would mean even more constraints in molecular movement?

Myles Chang 1B

Postby Myles Chang 1B » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:37 pm

I think Pi bonds differ from Sigma bonds in how they affect a molecule's structure. Pi bonds prevent a molecule from rotating, namely.

Madeleine Farrington 1B

Postby Madeleine Farrington 1B » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:30 pm

Anthony Mercado 1K wrote:So, in relation to sigma and pie bonds, does each increase in bond length constrain the molecule on an increasing number of axis(s)? That is, a sigma bond just constrains it on an axis, a pi bond would not allow it to rotate, and a triple bond would mean even more constraints in molecular movement?

Everything you have said sounds accurate to me other than that the bond length would be increasing. I was under the impression that a double or triple bond would be shorter than a single bond. But I agree that a sigma bond would simply constrain the atoms to an axis around which they could rotate, where as a double or triple (pi) bond would not allow for rotation.

Surya Palavali 1D

Postby Surya Palavali 1D » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:34 pm

Sigma bonds are present in all bonds, pi bonds are not.

Alicia Beebe

Postby Alicia Beebe » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:28 am

From my understanding, pi bonds are easier to break, so they're the "first to go." This also makes sense along with what others were saying because each bond is at least one sigma bond, sigma bonds form first and break last. But, in each bond there can only be one sigma bond, so a double bond is one sigma and one pi bond, and a triple bond is one sigma and two pi bonds.

Return to “Hybridization”