Identifying types of bonds and hybridization in Lewis Structures

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Identifying types of bonds and hybridization in Lewis Structures

Postby 005199750 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:35 pm

Hi everyone! Now that we've gone over hybridization in lecture, do we have to start drawing our lewis structures any differently? Also, are we now going to be graded on whether or not we identify the types of bonds and whether or not we identify areas of hybridization?

For instance, in lecture today, when Dr. Lavelle drew out the lewis structure for Ammonia (NH3), it looked like the following picture: https://chemistrybytes.files.wordpress. ... e-copy.jpg

However, Dr. Lavelle drew arrows towards the different bonds. He drew an arrow to the Lone Electron Pair with a label of "sp^3". He also drew three arrows to the three N–H bonds with the label "σ bond (N 2sp^3 — H 1s)". Are we expected to write this information in this way for Lewis Structures moving forward?

Searra Harding 4I

Re: Identifying types of bonds and hybridization in Lewis Structures

Postby Searra Harding 4I » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:39 pm

If we need to include the types of bonds and show hybridization of orbitals I'm sure it will specify on the test/final. It can't hurt to practice writing it all out on homework problems though.

lindsey_ammann_4E

Postby lindsey_ammann_4E » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:25 am

We are only expected to draw the Lewis structures as we had done so before. He just wants us to be able to identify the geometry (VSEPR model) by looking at the Lewis structure. We are not expected to draw the VSEPR model ourselves.

Sabrina Ryu 3L

Postby Sabrina Ryu 3L » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:55 pm

I think you should have awareness of sigma and pi bonds and be able to label these bonds whether it be N2sp3--H1s or otherwise.

Return to “Hybridization”