Hybrid orbitals pointing to corners?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Tyra Nguyen 4H

Hybrid orbitals pointing to corners?

Postby Tyra Nguyen 4H » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:22 am

Was reading the textbook and didn't understand what this meant: "(a) An s-orbital and a p-orbital hybridize into two sp hybrid orbitals that point in opposite directions, forming a linear molecular shape. (b) An s-orbital and two p-orbitals can blend together to give three sp2 hybrid orbitals
that point to the corners of an equilateral triangle. (c) An s-orbital and three p-orbitals can blend together to give four sp2 hybrid orbitals that point to the corners of a tetrahedron."

What does it mean when the orbitals "point" into a corner or different directions? I thought that they were lobes so I'm not sure how they can be pointing.

Anusha 1H

Re: Hybrid orbitals pointing to corners?

Postby Anusha 1H » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:10 am

I think all the book is referring to here is the shape the orbitals form because of their regions of electron density

Dhwani Krishnan 1G

Postby Dhwani Krishnan 1G » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:28 am

Because of electron repulsion, to maximize distance the orbitals end up "pointing to the corners."

Tyra Nguyen 4H

Postby Tyra Nguyen 4H » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:11 pm

But how do you know which corner it is pointing to? Does this relate to the dipole moments?

Ana Pedreros

Postby Ana Pedreros » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:23 pm

Pointing to corners basically means that the arrow displaying a dipole moment points out toward the most electronegative atom. The atoms arrange themselves in a way that each one is the same distance apart and create geometrical shapes that have corners.

Return to “Hybridization”