Hybridization

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Helen Mejia 1I

Hybridization

Postby Helen Mejia 1I » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:10 pm

How does hybridization arise from atomic orbitals?

Helen Mejia 1I

Re: Hybridization

Postby Helen Mejia 1I » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:10 pm

Also can someone please explain by giving an example?

Yousif Jafar 1G

Postby Yousif Jafar 1G » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:53 pm

Hybridization is the mixture of the different atomic orbitals, so sp3 is a combination of the s orbitals and the p orbitals. Also, the number of atomic orbitals are equal to the hybrid orbitals.

Yukta Italia 3I

Postby Yukta Italia 3I » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:07 pm

You can determine hybridization by counting the number of electron densities surround the central atom in a Lewis Structure. For example, H2O has 4 regions of electron density: the central oxygen atom has 2 lone pairs and 2 hydrogen atoms bonded. Since there are 4 regions of electron density, the hybridization is sp3.

Nathan Tran 4K

Postby Nathan Tran 4K » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:52 pm

Hybridization occurs because it rectifies the problem of unequal energy in bonds that unhybridized models imply. Let's look at the molecule CH4. If we were to look at the C-H bonds, we would do so by drawing the valence electrons in the outermost shell of Carbon in its ground state. Thus, we would see that Carbon has a filled 2s orbital and 1 electron on one of the 2p orbitals--the other two orbitals are empty in the p subshell. There are two problems with this. One, we can see that the H cannot bond with the electrons that are already paired in the 2s orbital. Secondly, we can see that the C-H bonds would not be of equal energy level. We solve this problem by using hybridization. For CH4, we make four sp3 orbitals. This fixes the problems beforehand because now when we draw our spins from Carbon and assign one electron to each orbital by Hund's rule. Also, this implies that all the bonds are of equal energy levels. Thus, we employ hybridization to rectify failings in our unhybridized model.

Lucy Agnew 3E

Postby Lucy Agnew 3E » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:57 pm

Another good tip
Single bond : sigma bond
Double bond: sigma and pi bond
Triple bond : sigma and two pi bonds

Aiden Atoori 1C

Postby Aiden Atoori 1C » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:59 pm

In chemistry, hybridization is the concept of mixing atomic orbitals into new hybrid orbitals
suitable for the pairing of electrons to form chemical bonds in valence bond theory.

Return to “Hybridization”