How Hybridization Occurs

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

AnnieOdelson_2E

How Hybridization Occurs

Postby AnnieOdelson_2E » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:14 pm

My question has to do with how hybridization occurs.

Technically, by "promoting" an electron, the electron is moved up to a higher energy level than it started at. How is this possible when the electron already has a defined amount of energy?

Regina Chi 2K

Re: How Hybridization Occurs

Postby Regina Chi 2K » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:12 pm

Well, I'm not sure if I can completely answer your question, but hybridization occurs by moving an electron up to a higher energy level because it only takes a very small amount of energy to do so since the energy of the two orbitals (usually the s-orbital and the p-oribital) does not differ by much. In doing so, and by promoting the electron, you would allow an atom (carbon for example) to make four bonds. When you promote an electron, it is like going into a small energy debt to make an even larger investment to allow the atom to make four bonds and overall, lower the energy of the entire resulting molecule (which is what is desired). And also, I think that the electron does not have a defined amount of energy because it may depend on the velocity, mass, and the resulting momentum of the electron. Let me know if I answered your question of if you have any other questions about my explanation! Hope this helps!!! :)

AnnieOdelson_2E

Re: How Hybridization Occurs

Postby AnnieOdelson_2E » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:58 pm

Thank you! That helps.

Return to “Hybridization”