Assigning hybridization with e- density

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Isha Bagga 3J

Assigning hybridization with e- density

Postby Isha Bagga 3J » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:49 pm

I attached a chart showing what hybridization an atom would be in regards to the regions of electron density that it has. Lone pairs are included as a region of electron density.
Attachments
IMG_20141211_214422_069.jpg

William DesRoches 1E

Re: Assigning hybridization with e- density

Postby William DesRoches 1E » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:50 pm

Idean showed another way during his midterm review that really helped me. Think of each region of electron density as a way of counting the hybridization
The first region of electron density is s
The second region of electron adds another letter, so sp
The third region of electron density adds another letter, so sp2 and so on.

Thinking of it this way really helped me during the midterm.

Derek Nguyen 1C

Re: Assigning hybridization with e- density

Postby Derek Nguyen 1C » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:38 pm

This indeed is a good way to assign hybridization. I believe though that it is important to also know that a bond (whether a single bond, double bond, or triple bond) also counts only as one region of electron density.
Also, the way that I do it is either writing out the Lewis structure and analyzing it visually. This would also help to comprehend what exactly are regions of electron density. This way, you can actually see the regions of electron density. For example, typically for an atom (before period 3), there are 4 sides of a structure. Each side taken would be a region of electron density. This would reflect the facts that lone pairs must be counted as one full hybrid orbital, and that double/triple bonds still count as only one region of electron density.

Return to “Hybridization”