Hybridization Confusion

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Andrew F 2L

Hybridization Confusion

Postby Andrew F 2L » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:18 pm

Can someone explain what we need to know for hybridization? I am currently using the hybridization chart Lavelle game but the book goes into great detail into topics that I don't think we need to know. Can anyone clarify for me?
Thank you!

Sarah Blake-2I

Re: Hybridization Confusion

Postby Sarah Blake-2I » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:24 am

I think you just need to know what Lavelle went over in lecture. Basically the amount of electron density in a molecule is how many orbitals will be used, so if the molecule has 3 areas of electron density, 3 orbitals need to be used. It will be sp2 hybridized due to the way we put together the orbitals. I would say just know the chart and understand the overlying concept and you'll be good for the final!

Sarah Zhari 1D

Postby Sarah Zhari 1D » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:23 am

I think you would probably need to know how to determine what kind of hybridized orbitals are present in a molecule, as well as the concept behind hybridization, and how it is caused by the merging of orbitals to form a hybridized orbitals with the same energy.

Matt F

Postby Matt F » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:26 pm

I would also be familiar with what molecular shapes correspond to what hybridized orbitals. For example, shapes such as Tetrahedral or Trigonal Pyramidal have 4 regions of electron density, therefore having the sp^2 hybridized orbitals

Return to “Hybridization”