How to Determine Hybridization

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

KTran 1I

How to Determine Hybridization

Postby KTran 1I » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:29 pm

I am still a little confused about determining when hybridization would occur, does anyone have any tips for memorizing when a molecule would have hybridization and how many hybrid orbitals there would be?

Kimberly Koo 2I

Re: How to Determine Hybridization

Postby Kimberly Koo 2I » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:38 pm

Usually if a central atom is surrounded by more than one outer atom, then it has to hybridize.

Natalie Wang 1B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: How to Determine Hybridization

Postby Natalie Wang 1B » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:01 pm

Molecules have hybridizations to form enough bonds. For example, CH4 has hybridization because normally C only has 2 unpaired electrons. With an sp3 hybrdization, C has 4 unpaired electrons that can bond with 4 H's. On the other hand, hybridization can also ensure the stability of a molecule. For example, NH3 has hybridization. While N has 3 unpaired electrons that could bond with each H, these electrons are all in the 2p orbital. When atoms bond to a central atom's p orbital, the bond angles will be 90 degrees. However, NH3 has bond angles that are NOT 90 degrees; instead, the angles are less than 109.5 degrees. To make the bond angles correct, which ensures the molecule's stability, N's orbitals are hybrdized to sp3. Therefore, each H atom binds to an sp3 orbital in N.

Return to “Hybridization”