How to write

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Rita Chen 1B

How to write

Postby Rita Chen 1B » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:22 am

How do I know how to write these hybridization? How does it relate to shape?

LBacker_2E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: How to write

Postby LBacker_2E » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:54 am

If you count the number of valence electrons, you can determine the atoms hybridization. For example if you have a Carbon atom, which has 2 electrons in the 2s and 2 electrons in the 2p orbitals, then these orbitals would combine to form a hybridization of sp3. This means that now the Carbon atom can form 4 bonds as we know from its Lewis structure, because if we listed it as its electron configuration, we are saying that the 2s electrons are a pair and cannot bond, leaving only the 2 2p electrons to bond. I don't know if that was clear, but I hope this helps.

Grecia Velasco 4D

Postby Grecia Velasco 4D » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:56 am

LBacker_4F wrote:If you count the number of valence electrons, you can determine the atoms hybridization. For example if you have a Carbon atom, which has 2 electrons in the 2s and 2 electrons in the 2p orbitals, then these orbitals would combine to form a hybridization of sp3. This means that now the Carbon atom can form 4 bonds as we know from its Lewis structure, because if we listed it as its electron configuration, we are saying that the 2s electrons are a pair and cannot bond, leaving only the 2 2p electrons to bond. I don't know if that was clear, but I hope this helps.

How does it make a hybridization of sp3 though? how do you know how to write it (hybridization is big confusing).

Pegah Nasseri 1K

Postby Pegah Nasseri 1K » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:09 am

To figure out the hybridization, you have to count the number of regions of electron density surrounding the atom. A single bond, double bond, triple bond, and lone pair each count as one region of electron density.

Number of regions
of electron density:
2 : sp
3 : sp^2
4 : sp^3
5 : sp^3d
6 : sp^3d^2

For example, the sp^3 hybridization would correspond to an atom with three regions of electron density, in which the s orbital and two of the p orbitals hybridize.

Return to “Hybridization”