Marshmallows #17 - hybridization in pi bonds

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Rebecca Remple 1C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Marshmallows #17 - hybridization in pi bonds

Postby Rebecca Remple 1C » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:17 pm

Hi all,

I was going through Lyndon's final review packet and have been having trouble understanding part of problem 17. In the problem, it asks us to draw C5H5NO2 and label all of the sigma and pi bonds. I understand most of the question, but one of the pi bonds is troubling me. Near the top of the molecule, a carbon is bonded to an oxygen which has two lone pairs. The sigma bond notation makes sense, but the pi bond says it is (O2p, C2sp2). In all other pi bond examples, both molecules' hybridization is just "p", such as (C2p, N2p). What makes this oxygen and carbon different? Why does this carbon break the trends? I would appreciate your feedback. Thank you for reading this and good luck on the final!

-Rebecca

Aadil Rehan 1D

Re: Marshmallows #17 - hybridization in pi bonds

Postby Aadil Rehan 1D » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:54 pm

My guess is that it's a typo. Pi bonds result from the overlapping of p orbitals specifically (think of it like two infinity symbols, one on top of the other) so the pi bond should only have p character.

Rebecca Remple 1C

Re: Marshmallows #17 - hybridization in pi bonds

Postby Rebecca Remple 1C » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:03 pm

Aadil Rehan 1D wrote:My guess is that it's a typo. Pi bonds result from the overlapping of p orbitals specifically (think of it like two infinity symbols, one on top of the other) so the pi bond should only have p character.

Hi Aadil,

Thank you so much for replying! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thought that looked wrong. Your explanation makes a lot more sense :) Good luck on the final tomorrow!

-Rebecca

Return to “Hybridization”