Marshmallow Hybridization Problem

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

WUng_1D

Marshmallow Hybridization Problem

Postby WUng_1D » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:54 am

Can someone explain how to the part where it has us identify the composition of each bond. In the image I don't understand why one oxygen's hybridization is 2sp2 while another is just sp3. Why does the 2 disappear?

Edit: Not sure how to upload pictures so here is the link https://imgur.com/a/eqjr8LV

Justin Seok 2A

Re: Marshmallow Hybridization Problem

Postby Justin Seok 2A » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:59 am

Oxygen is not necessarily gonna be sp2 or sp3 both times even though they are in the same molecule. Hybridization pretty much equates to how many zones of lone pairs/bonds are on the atom. So the top oxygen is sp2 since it has 1 bond and 2 lone pairs while the other oxygen is sp3 since it has 2 bonds and 2 lone pairs on it.

Julie_Reyes1B

Postby Julie_Reyes1B » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:07 am

I don't think the 2 is completely necessary, probably because there is an assumption that the bonding electrons are from the outermost shell (in this case, 2). For example, when Dr. Lavelle did examples of drawing hybrid orbitals (C and NH3), he omitted the principal quantum number. I would still write it on the final just to be safe, though.

Ashley Kim 3F

Postby Ashley Kim 3F » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:50 am

The 2 is just to indicate the period that oxygen is found in and is not completely necessary when writing the hybridization. However, it can't hurt to put it on your answer !

Return to “Hybridization”