Lecture example ethene

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Nadya Higgins 3F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Lecture example ethene

Postby Nadya Higgins 3F » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:41 pm

I was watching today's lecture and got confused on the example of ethene. I was wondering if anyone could explain to me why ethene has sp3 orbitals when it was an example of sp2 hybridization, and also what Dr. Lavelle meant when he was talking about the energy gap and the spin-pair energy?

Eunice_Castro_1G

Re: Lecture example ethene

Postby Eunice_Castro_1G » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:45 pm

Hi! I am also confused on the first part of your question, but I think I can explain the second part. So because the the gap between the "regular" atomic orbital space between 2p and 2s is larger than the gap between the the hybridized and the 2p then there can be no paired electrons. Hope this helps!

Kailani_Dial_2K
Been upvoted: 5 times

Postby Kailani_Dial_2K » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:35 pm

Hi Nadya, ethene has 2sp^2 hybridized orbitals, it does not have 2sp^3

Nadya Higgins 3F

Postby Nadya Higgins 3F » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:09 am

Eunice_Castro_1G wrote:Hi! I am also confused on the first part of your question, but I think I can explain the second part. So because the the gap between the "regular" atomic orbital space between 2p and 2s is larger than the gap between the the hybridized and the 2p then there can be no paired electrons. Hope this helps!

Ah this makes a bit more sense, thank you!

Nadya Higgins 3F

Postby Nadya Higgins 3F » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:10 am

Kailani_Dial_3G wrote:Hi Nadya, ethene has 2sp^2 hybridized orbitals, it does not have 2sp^3

I see, I must have misunderstood his example; I will watch that part of the lecture again. Thanks for your help!

AnnaNovoselov1G

Postby AnnaNovoselov1G » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:03 am

The 2p and 2sp^2 orbitals a smaller energy gap between them than 2s and 2p because the 2sp^2 hybridized orbital is found in between the 2s and 2p orbitals. Atoms forms hybridized orbitals because it makes the resulting molecule more stable (lower potential energy) because it allows the regions of electron density to spread further apart (the energy gap energy is smaller than the spin pairing energy).

I hope that helps you understand the concept better!

Taber Ball 1F

Postby Taber Ball 1F » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:46 pm

AnnaNovoselov1G wrote:The 2p and 2sp^2 orbitals a smaller energy gap between them than 2s and 2p because the 2sp^2 hybridized orbital is found in between the 2s and 2p orbitals. Atoms forms hybridized orbitals because it makes the resulting molecule more stable (lower potential energy) because it allows the regions of electron density to spread further apart (the energy gap energy is smaller than the spin pairing energy).

I had a similar question from the lecture and your explanation was so helpful! Thank you!

Haochen He 3L

Postby Haochen He 3L » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:12 am

Hi! I think ethene has sp2 orbitals instead of sp3 orbitals. C has 3 electrons in 2sp2 orbitals and 1 electron in 2p electron. Hope it helps!

Nadya Higgins 3F

Postby Nadya Higgins 3F » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:18 pm

AnnaNovoselov1G wrote:The 2p and 2sp^2 orbitals a smaller energy gap between them than 2s and 2p because the 2sp^2 hybridized orbital is found in between the 2s and 2p orbitals. Atoms forms hybridized orbitals because it makes the resulting molecule more stable (lower potential energy) because it allows the regions of electron density to spread further apart (the energy gap energy is smaller than the spin pairing energy).

Yes that helped, thank you!

Jenny Chau 1I

Postby Jenny Chau 1I » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:54 pm

Hi, I also noticed during the lecture that he wrote sp3 next to the bonds of the lewis structure for ethene. He initially wrote sp2 next to one of the bonds but then started writing 2sp3. I don't think anyone explained why he did that though. Was it because there's an electron in 2p and that's why he wrote that?

Return to “Hybridization”