Hybridization Clarification

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jolie Sukonik 2B

Hybridization Clarification

Postby Jolie Sukonik 2B » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:48 am

Can someone clarify what hybridization means?
I'm a little confused on the concept. Thanks!

AnnaNovoselov1G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Hybridization Clarification

Postby AnnaNovoselov1G » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:01 pm

Hybridization refers to the mixing of orbitals to create new hybrid orbitals that have an energy that is in between the 2 starting orbitals. For instance, one s and one p can mix to form 1 sp orbital or 2s and 2p^3 can mix to create four 2sp^3 orbitals.
In other words, hybridization happens when the energy of orbitals is equally redistributed to form hybrid degenerate orbitals.

Inderpal Singh 2L
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby Inderpal Singh 2L » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:12 pm

Essentially, you mix together orbitals to create a new orbital that is better suited to form chemical bonds. This is a really good video :) :

https://www.organicchemistrytutor.com/hybridization/

Alexandra Salata 2L

Postby Alexandra Salata 2L » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:26 pm

In chemistry, orbital hybridization is the concept of mixing atomic orbitals into new hybrid orbitals (with different energies, shapes, etc., than the component atomic orbitals) suitable for the pairing of electrons to form chemical bonds in valence bond theory.
Hybridization occurs when an atom bonds using electrons from both the s and p orbitals, creating an imbalance in the energy levels of the electrons. To equalize these energy levels, the s and p orbitals involved are combined to create hybrid orbitals.
An easy way to figure out what hybridization an atom has is to just count the number of atoms bonded to it and the number of lone pairs. Double and triple bonds still count as being only bonded to one atom.

isha dis3d

Postby isha dis3d » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:13 am

In lecture, Dr. Lavells referred to many "unhybridized orbitals". How exactly can you identify these?

AnjikaFriedman-Jha2D

Postby AnjikaFriedman-Jha2D » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:09 am

Hybrid orbitals have energy that is between two regular orbitals such as 2s and 2p. They allow for atoms to have a certain number of bonds to complete their octet, namely carbon in organic compounds.

America Alvarado
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby America Alvarado » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:18 am

isha dis1k wrote:In lecture, Dr. Lavells referred to many "unhybridized orbitals". How exactly can you identify these?

Well hybridized orbitals are a combination of atomic orbitals, so unhybridized orbitals would be the left over orbitals that are not combined, or the ground state of the atom. Hope this helps and please correct me if I'm wrong.

aashmi_agrawal_3d

Postby aashmi_agrawal_3d » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:44 am

Hybridization is basically mixing atomic orbitals to form new hybrid orbitals.

Melis Kasaba 2B

Postby Melis Kasaba 2B » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:37 pm

Hybridization occurs when atomic orbitals mix to form a new atomic orbital. This new orbital can hold the same total number of electrons as the old ones, but the properties and energy of it is an average of the original, unhybridized orbitals. The concept of hybridization was created to explain the fact that all the C-H bonds in molecules like methane (an example Lavelle went over in class) are identical. We had to consider the mixture (hybrid) of valence atomic orbitals during bond formation to explain the observed structure.

Brianna Chen 3F

Postby Brianna Chen 3F » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:03 pm

I like to refer back to the name "hybridization" when I think about what it means! The word "hybrid" is in its name which tells me that we are combining something. In this case, we are combining atomic orbitals to become hybrid orbitals that can hold the correct number of electrons for the creation of bonds for a particular atom.

Return to “Hybridization”