Hybridization Explanation

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kyle Walsh 2J

Hybridization Explanation

Postby Kyle Walsh 2J » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:22 pm

Hi! So I'm still not entirely clear on why hybridization occurs. I understand that it is necessary to explain the experimentally determined structures of molecules, but there must be some natural process that causes hybridization to occur. If not, is hybridization merely a thought process used to explain concepts? Any explanation would be helpful, thanks!

HilaGelfer_2H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Hybridization Explanation

Postby HilaGelfer_2H » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:13 pm

Hi!

Hybridization occurs as molecules come closer together and begin to form bonds. As atoms come closer together, the electron density of the atoms shift/change in order to allow the optimal amount of bonds necessary for the compound to form.

I hope this helps :)

Isaac Wen

Postby Isaac Wen » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:42 pm

Hi! I think you might be right in the sense that hybridization is indeed a mathematical model. However, it happens because, without it, a compound might have bonds of different energies. For instance, if we look at CCl4, carbon has 4 bonding electrons--2 from the 2s orbital and 2 from the 2p orbital. If C bonds with the 4 Cl atoms without hybridization, two of the four bonds will be of higher energy (the two bonds formed from the 2p orbital. Hybridization makes sure all the bonds are equal in energy.

Jack_Pearce_2H

Postby Jack_Pearce_2H » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:17 am

I think of it all going back to thermo. It is most favorable to have the orbitals mix this way (hybridization) and allow for bonding in the most energetically favorable (so the lowest energy state). Moreover, it is the hybridization process that essentially allows bonds to form in the first place by allowing atoms to share electrons through different orbitals where their valence electrons are held. It also allows the proximity between the central and accessory atoms to be smaller. Hope this helps!

Eric Cruz 2G

Postby Eric Cruz 2G » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:34 am

Hybridization is ideal because it provides/orders the needed orbitals in a way that allows bonds to occur. Rather than having two electrons filling up the s orbital and so on, they all coexist within a kind of orbital that meshes them in order for electrons to be unpaired (without opposite spins). This proves to be powerful as this explains why bonds occur (nearby atoms provide the needed electrons to fill the orbitals).

Shrinidhy Srinivas 3L
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Shrinidhy Srinivas 3L » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:18 am

Hybridization helps provide low energy levels and it also is a more realistic explanation of the probability of actually finding an electron in a certain orbital. Hope this helps!

Mackenzie Stockton 2H

Postby Mackenzie Stockton 2H » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:51 pm

Hybridization is a mathematical model that can be thought as a "mixing" of several orbitals in terms of energy. For ex, sp^2 hybridization creates a hybrid orbital that is a "mix" of one "s" and 2 "p" orbitals to create an sp^2 orbital that has an energy level in between unhybridized s and p orbitals. hybridization is used to explain the VSEPR shape + bond angles of the experimentally observed structure.

Return to “Hybridization”