UA Workshop Number 6a

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Cecilia Cisneros 1F

UA Workshop Number 6a

Postby Cecilia Cisneros 1F » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:29 pm

Hi! I attended Matthew Tran's workshop earlier, but I didn't get to stay at until the end. I was reviewing my answers with the answers from the workshop that someone kindly shared with me, but I was having trouble understanding the answer to 6a.

"6. For each of the following molecules, identify the the orbital hybridization of the
bolded and underlined atom:
a. CH3NNCH3"

I thought the hybridization was sp^3, but the answer was sp^2 does anyone know why?

Thomas Vu 1A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: UA Workshop Number 6a

Postby Thomas Vu 1A » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:16 pm

So the N is single bonded to a C, double bonded to another N, and has 1 lone electron pair. So there are basically 3 regions available which translates into a sp2 hybridization.

Crystal Pan 2G
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Crystal Pan 2G » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:34 pm

It is sp^2 because there are three regions of electron density. The double bond with the other N, the lone pair, and the single bond with C. The double bond still counts as 1 region of electron density, so there are 3 regions which means it is sp^2.

Jillian Labador 3E

Postby Jillian Labador 3E » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:54 am

Here's a lewis structure representation of the compound (let's hope it works lol)

H H
| .. .. |
H - C - N = N - C - H
| |
H H

You can see that the nitrogen atom has 3 regions of electron density (single bond with carbon, double bond with the other nitrogen, and the lone pair). Thus the hybridization is sp^2. Hope this helps!

Jillian Labador 3E

Postby Jillian Labador 3E » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:58 am

Jillian Labador 2F wrote:Here's a lewis structure representation of the compound (let's hope it works lol)

H H
| .. .. |
H - C - N = N - C - H
| |
H H

You can see that the nitrogen atom has 3 regions of electron density (single bond with carbon, double bond with the other nitrogen, and the lone pair). Thus the hybridization is sp^2. Hope this helps!

Okay clearly that did not work :| but you get the idea

Return to “Hybridization”