Normalized vs Unnormalized hybrid orbitals

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ria Nawathe 1C
Been upvoted: 3 times

Normalized vs Unnormalized hybrid orbitals

Postby Ria Nawathe 1C » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:53 pm

What does it mean for hybrid orbitals to be normalized vs unnormalized?

Keerthana Sundar 1K

Re: Normalized vs Unnormalized hybrid orbitals

Postby Keerthana Sundar 1K » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:24 pm

So I have no clue, so I tried to research what it might be, and I'm getting conflicting answers, one of which says that it's simply perpendicular to each other (normal to each other), and the other of which says they are standardized to one another. The first definition makes the most sense to me, but there might be a third or fourth or whatever other definition that is correct. If anyone knows, let us know! Though in what context was it brought up? I'm not sure if that was ever mentioned during lecture.

Ria Nawathe 1C
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby Ria Nawathe 1C » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:05 pm

Keerthana Sundar 1E wrote:So I have no clue, so I tried to research what it might be, and I'm getting conflicting answers, one of which says that it's simply perpendicular to each other (normal to each other), and the other of which says they are standardized to one another. The first definition makes the most sense to me, but there might be a third or fourth or whatever other definition that is correct. If anyone knows, let us know! Though in what context was it brought up? I'm not sure if that was ever mentioned during lecture.

Yeah the first definition does make more sense, thanks! I came across the terms in the reading from the textbook in Focus 2F.3.

reyvalui_3g

Postby reyvalui_3g » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:58 pm

I think it has to do something with the wavefunction of the molecular orbitals being normalized to the value of 1.

Return to “Hybridization”