Sigma and Pi Bonds

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Megan FitzPatrick 1C

Sigma and Pi Bonds

Postby Megan FitzPatrick 1C » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:39 am

When you are going about finding the number of sigma and pi bonds in a molecule, do you always have to draw the Lewis structure for that particular molecule to determine which elements have single (sigma), double (sigma+1pi), and triple bonds (sigma+2pi bonds)? Also, I read online that only period two elements form pi bonds. Is this correct?

Saira Shahid 3K

Re: Sigma and Pi Bonds

Postby Saira Shahid 3K » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:02 am

Sigma and pi bonds are made when two orbitals overlap. Sigma bonds are made when two hybridized orbitals overlap, and pi bonds are always made from two P-orbitals.

A single bond is a sigma bond.
    A double bond is one sigma and one pi bond.
    A triple bond is one sigma and two pi bonds.

I always draw the Lewis structure to find the sigma and pi bonds, and I'm not sure if there's another way to find them.

Hannah Markovic 3C

Postby Hannah Markovic 3C » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:11 am

Yes, I agree that you should draw the lewis structure first in order to find the number of sigma and pi bonds. Also, it's correct that only period 2 and higher elements can form pi bonds because hydrogen and helium will not form double bonds since their "octet" (2 electrons) is satisfied with just one bond for both :)

Cynthia De Luna 4I

Postby Cynthia De Luna 4I » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:44 pm

Yeah, so far the best way that I've found for figuring out sigma and pie bonds is to draw out the Lewis Structure. I saw a video on youtube that had a different method but it was a bit complicated.

Sakiko_Shida_4E

Postby Sakiko_Shida_4E » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:23 pm

Yes, it is correct that only elements in period two or higher form pi bonds because H and He in period 1 of the periodic table can only share one pair of electrons between the atoms and do not form double or triple bonds.

Return to “Hybridization”