Midterm

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Blake_Katsev_2E
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:57 pm

Midterm

Postby Blake_Katsev_2E » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:52 pm

Anybody know what the material goes up to for the midterm?

Angela_Pu_3C
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:00 am

Re: Midterm

Postby Angela_Pu_3C » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:53 pm

All material covered in Fundamentals and Chapters 1-4 up to the end of hybridization.
Course Reader: All material up to page 105.
Past Midterms in Course Reader: Pages 179-217

For more info go to this link: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=16342

Parsia Vazirnia 2L
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:00 am

Re: Midterm

Postby Parsia Vazirnia 2L » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:24 pm

Angela_Pu_4F wrote:All material covered in Fundamentals and Chapters 1-4 up to the end of hybridization.
Course Reader: All material up to page 105.
Past Midterms in Course Reader: Pages 179-217

For more info go to this link: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=16342


Will it cover material that we will learn on this coming Monday's lecture as well or just up until today (Friday's) lecture?

Diana_Anum1G
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:59 pm

Re: Midterm

Postby Diana_Anum1G » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:19 pm

I understand that we don't have to memorize the bond angles, but since we have to know the names of the molecular shapes should we also know the actual shapes too?

Sarah_Kremer_1A
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:56 pm

Re: Midterm

Postby Sarah_Kremer_1A » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:34 pm

I think we should know the general shape of the molecule - such as what a tetrahedral looks like - but we don't need to be able to draw it. He just wants us to be able to take a molecule and state its shape, without any picture or specifics.

Emily_Lenh2A
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:00 am

Re: Midterm

Postby Emily_Lenh2A » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:22 pm

Parsia Vazirnia 1F wrote:
Angela_Pu_4F wrote:All material covered in Fundamentals and Chapters 1-4 up to the end of hybridization.
Course Reader: All material up to page 105.
Past Midterms in Course Reader: Pages 179-217

For more info go to this link: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=16342


Will it cover material that we will learn on this coming Monday's lecture as well or just up until today (Friday's) lecture?


The new material that we learned on Friday went past page 105 on the course reader, so we won't be tested on that, and because he will likely go even further than that on Monday, we probably won't be tested on that for our midterm either. He said in his announcements at the end that we won't be tested on molecular orbital theory either, so I'm assuming that anything after that as well will not be included on the midterm for Wednesday.

Chem_Mod
Posts: 18694
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:53 pm
Has upvoted: 616 times

Re: Midterm

Postby Chem_Mod » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:10 pm

304746711 wrote:Anybody know what the material goes up to for the midterm?


Please read Announcements:
viewtopic.php?f=157&t=16342

Very clear what is and what is not covered.

Molecular Orbital Theory is not on the Midterm.

Rosalva_Mejia_41
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:56 pm

Re: Midterm

Postby Rosalva_Mejia_41 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:39 pm

Can some explain when or why we use hybridization? Are we expected to know how to label bonds within a molecule that are hybridized?

Chem_Mod
Posts: 18694
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:53 pm
Has upvoted: 616 times

Re: Midterm

Postby Chem_Mod » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:26 pm

Rosalva_Mejia_41 wrote:Can some explain when or why we use hybridization? Are we expected to know how to label bonds within a molecule that are hybridized?


As discussed in class hybridization is needed to obtain the correct bonding. Carbon, for example, has only two unpaired electrons yet it forms four bonds.

Yes you are expected to know how to label bonds within a molecule that are hybridized. See homework questions on this.

Rosalva_Mejia_41
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:56 pm

Re: Midterm

Postby Rosalva_Mejia_41 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:29 pm

Okay, thank you.


Return to “*Molecular Orbital Theory (Bond Order, Diamagnetism, Paramagnetism)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest