Molecular Orbital Diagram of NO+  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Josh Ku 3H

Molecular Orbital Diagram of NO+

Postby Josh Ku 3H » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:23 am

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=16787

In the link above chem_mod said it was best to account for the negative charge of CN- by placing an extra electron on the nitrogen since it is more electronegative.

I was just wondering if the same applied for molecules with a positive charge. Should you account for the positive charge of NO+ by taking an electron off of N rather than O since it is less electronegative?
In problem 57 of chapter 4 they take it off of oxygen instead. Can someone explain why?

I was thinking it was removed from the oxygen maybe to make each atom's p orbitals have an electron to share (each have 3 e-) but in CN- (with an extra electron on N) it avoids this with only 2 electrons in C p subshell and 4 in N's.

Claudette_Contr_3I

Re: Molecular Orbital Diagram of NO+  [ENDORSED]

Postby Claudette_Contr_3I » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:00 pm

I am not quiet sure but it seems that the book may have taken the electron off O because then it would have the same amount of electrons in the 2p orbital as Nitrogen (it looks neater). In general, I don't think it matters where you take the electron from because it has no affect which side when drawing the molecular orbital diagram.

Return to “*Molecular Orbital Theory (Bond Order, Diamagnetism, Paramagnetism)”