Delocalization  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

RussellChin_3A

Delocalization

Postby RussellChin_3A » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:29 pm

What does "delocalization" of electrons mean? I know that they have to do with resonance, but I'm having trouble trying to figure out what it actually means in context. If someone could explain it to me in a simpler way I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 406 times

Re: Delocalization

Postby Chem_Mod » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:36 pm

Delocalization is spreading the electron density over a larger area, having a stabilizing effect on molecules. Essentially, this means the electrons move between atoms and don't stay around one particular one. As a result, this spreads out charges.

Nisarg Shah 1C

Re: Delocalization

Postby Nisarg Shah 1C » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:37 pm

Essentially, electron delocalization means that electrons are not confined inside the space of one bond. For example, in benzene, the electrons in the C-C bonds are not static, but rather they move around all C-C bonds because benzene displays hybrid resonance.

Scott Chin_1E

Re: Delocalization  [ENDORSED]

Postby Scott Chin_1E » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:44 pm

"Delocalized electrons" speak to the fact that electrons have wave-like properties as well as particle-like properties. Delocalized essentially means that the electrons are in constant movement around the atoms involved in bonding rather than in rigid "orbitals" around a give atom involved in bonding.

Return to “*Molecular Orbital Theory (Bond Order, Diamagnetism, Paramagnetism)”