bond order calculations

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

AMahadi

bond order calculations

Postby AMahadi » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:29 pm

what are the different ways to calculate bond order?

Prasanna Padmanabham 4I

Re: bond order calculations

Postby Prasanna Padmanabham 4I » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:44 pm

I believe bond order just refers to the number of bonds between two atoms (single bonds, double bonds, triple bonds etc.) so I would just draw a lewis structure and count...

https://chem.libretexts.org/Bookshelves/Physical_and_Theoretical_Chemistry_Textbook_Maps/Supplemental_Modules_(Physical_and_Theoretical_Chemistry)/Chemical_Bonding/Fundamentals_of_Chemical_Bonding/Bond_Order_and_Lengths

TheresaDsilva4A

Postby TheresaDsilva4A » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:47 pm

Bond order is determined by the type of bond (single, double, triple etc.) found between a pair of atoms. So, in order to determine the bond order, I would try drawing the lowest-energy Lewis structure for the molecule. For example, in the carbon monoxide molecule, the C-O bond order is 3 because carbon and oxygen are connected by a triple bond. Hope this helps!

Amanda Mei 1B

Postby Amanda Mei 1B » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:53 pm

To find bond order, count the number of bonds in a molecule and divide that by the number of bonding regions. For example, NO3- has 4 bonds, comprised of two single bonds and one double bond. You would divide 4 bonds by 3 bonding regions/bond groups to get a bond order of 1.33. For H2, you'd divide 1 bond by 1 bonding region to get a bond order of 1.

Diana A 2L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Diana A 2L » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:56 pm

Am I understanding this right: the bond order of a compound is the average of all the different bonds present between the individual atoms in the compound. For example, if there's a compound consisting of three atoms bonded by one single and one double bond, you'd take the average bond energy from combining the single and double bonds right?

Return to “*Molecular Orbital Theory (Bond Order, Diamagnetism, Paramagnetism)”