TM and coordination compounds

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Lusin_Yengibaryan_3B

TM and coordination compounds

Postby Lusin_Yengibaryan_3B » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:35 am

Must all coordination compounds include transition metals? What are some well-known examples of strong coordination compounds and their identifying properties? Must a ligand be a chelating ligand in order to bind cations or can other ligands also bond cations?

Anirudh Mahadev 1G

Re: TM and coordination compounds

Postby Anirudh Mahadev 1G » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:50 am

I can answer the first question, coordination compounds do not need to have a transition metal. For example, take BF3, a well known lewis acid. Boron is not a transition metal but can make coordinate covalent bonds, such as with F-.

IanWheeler3F

Re: TM and coordination compounds

Postby IanWheeler3F » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:45 pm

Water forms hydrates with a lot of compounds meaning it is acting as a lewis base and donating an electron pair. A well-known hydrate is epsom salts, which is magnesium sulfate. Water also forms complexes with other metals like sodium ions and aluminum ions when water dissolves them. I don't know exactly what you mean by "strong coordination compounds" but a cool one is CoCl2 which is clear until heated, then it turns blue, and it was used as invisible ink back when people wrote letters. And I also don't know what the last part means, I think any ligand can bond to metal cations, but if you mean trap the metal then yeah the ligands are chelating so that the metal ion cannot do harm.

Return to “*Molecular Orbital Theory (Bond Order, Diamagnetism, Paramagnetism)”