Sigma and Pi bond rotation

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Bronson Mathos 1H

Sigma and Pi bond rotation

Postby Bronson Mathos 1H » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:51 pm

Hello, I would just like to clear something up from my notes and was wondering that since sigma bonds allow for the bound atom to rotate and pi bonds do not allow their bound atom to rotate, does that mean when both bonds are together, say in a double or triple bond, does that mean the bound atom does not rotate?

Varsha Ravi 3E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Sigma and Pi bond rotation

Postby Varsha Ravi 3E » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:53 pm

Yes, I believe that in cases where there is a double or triple bond, the pi bond means that the atom does not rotate.

Sana Nagori 2H

Postby Sana Nagori 2H » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:54 pm

single bonds are always sigma bonds so they can rotate. However, a double bond has an addition pi bond which limits the rotation and essentially locks the sigma bond in place because they are at 90 degrees to each other (I think). This is why a double and triple bond would not be able to rotate.

Yuehan_Wu_3K

Postby Yuehan_Wu_3K » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:56 pm

I think it's because pi bond bonds atoms more closer therefore it will not rotate around.

Brianna Martilla 1C

Postby Brianna Martilla 1C » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:56 pm

Yes I think so because I remember him saying that the pi bonds don't allow rotation because it connects at the two ends, and rotation would break the bond, so for any double or triple bonds that would happen.

Vanessa Wiratmo 3k

Postby Vanessa Wiratmo 3k » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:02 pm

hello,

sigma bonds have head-to-head overlap in which the electron density is directly along the bonding axis. Because of this, sigma bonds allow for rotation. The bond strength remains constant even when rotating. For pi bonds, however, have electron overlap above and below the plane of atoms. There is side-to-side overlap. Because of this, rotation is not possible without breaking the bond. Double bonds and triple bonds have sigma and pi bonds. Because of the pi bonds, there can't be rotation.

Return to “*Molecular Orbital Theory (Bond Order, Diamagnetism, Paramagnetism)”